Saturday, November 24, 2012

Chapter thirty

A/N 3 votes for Sarah forgetting birth control, really? I'll have to remember that.


Relieved that she finally said something, he asked, “What do you need to tell me?” He was glad she finally started and wondered what could possibly have made her so nervous.

Sarah took a deep breath, she needed to tell him. “I don’t want to go back to Europe.” She finally said it and felt relieved too.

Confused, he shook his head, he thought she had liked Europe, was he wrong? “Why not?” He asked calmly although his mind was going crazy with ideas why she didn’t want to go.

Sarah sighed; she knew she would have to explain it. “I need to know if I can do this on my own.” She looked up at him, searching his eyes for understanding but only found confusion and decided to go on. “I think going to Europe has really helped me but it helped out relationship more than personally just for me.” She tried to explain but the confusion she was in him turned even more confused.

“What do you mean?” Europe had been good for her; he knew she had made progress but not personally?

Again she thought of words to say what she wanted to say and explain it better. She had known it wouldn’t be easy. “I need some time on my own to find out if I can do these things alone.”

He could understand she needed some time on her own; maybe it had been overwhelming her again. “What things?” He asked instead.

“Going out, shopping, and looking for that job.” She listed.
“Oh.” Now he understood.
“I need to know if I can do it without you.” Sarah repeated.

Richie nodded; she hadn’t really been on her own long enough to try.

“I love your constant support but I have to do it on my own too.” She decided to speak when he didn’t.

He smiled and wrapped his arms around her. “I understand. I’m really going to miss you.” He hugged her tight.
“I’m going to miss you too.” She hugged back, now uncertain if she could do it on her own.

“You have no idea how hard it was to tell you that.” Sarah said with another sigh of relief.

“You’ll miss my birthday.” Richie said after a minute of hugging.
Sarah pulled back with surprise, then realized she didn’t even know his birthday. “When’s your birthday?”
“Monday.”
“Oh Richie, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to miss your birthday.”
Richie chuckled. “It’s been a while since you used song lyrics.”



They had lunch together with Sarah’s family at their kitchen table.

Richie wanted to invite them to come to Portugal at the end of the month but now he wanted to talk to Sarah about how long she wanted to stay home, maybe she wanted come over after a few days or a week or maybe not at all.

It was understandable she needed to do her own thing but he wanted to have her with him. Perhaps he was just being selfish; he didn’t want to miss her. He wanted to hold her, hug her, kiss her, he didn’t want to lose her. What if he wasn’t strong enough without her?

Sarah’s uncertainty had grown since their conversation. It was scary that she now had to try things on her own but she couldn’t let fear stop her. She had done that long enough, now she needed to go forward in life. She could do this on her own, as little as she wanted to, she could it.



After lunch Sarah suggested for them to go for a walk, she thought it was funny when her mother handed her a shopping list.

A few streets down was a little convenience store that she hadn’t been to in years but she remembered the boys buying candy there after school when they were younger.

She took the list and walked out with Richie. He took her hand once they reached the sidewalk and Sarah turned to the right direction, she was sure she still knew where it was.

“So,” Richie started when they reached the corner of her street and needed to cross, “would you like come over later on?”
“I don’t know.” She didn’t know how much time she needed.
“Maybe you’d like to come over after a week or two.” He continued.
“I really don’t know.” She repeated.
“You know, I can buy you a ticket any time.” He didn’t want to be without her and wanted her to come over as soon as possible.
“I know, and I will let you know when I want to come over.” She squeezed his hand; it was strange that she needed to assure him for a change.

Richie stayed quiet but when they turned the corner after a few minutes, he continued. “You have to be there at the end of the month, when we do our last shown everyone’s wife and kids are coming over and I’d love it if my girlfriend would be there.”
Sarah smiled. “I’ll be there, I wouldn’t miss it.”

A minute later he added, “I’d like your kids and your mom there too.”
“I’m sure they’d love that.” Sarah said certain.

They crossed the street another time and walked into the little store. Richie helped Sarah get everything that she needed together and in just a few minutes they were on their way back, each carrying a bag, holding hands.

“I like doing these simple things with you.” Richie said, Sarah livened in a calm place, he really didn’t think he’d run into any paparazzi here, he liked that.
“I just like doing things with you.” Sarah said back. Anything with him was nice to do. It was nice to be able to do something simple as grocery shopping.



Back at home Noah was stretched long out on the couch watching tv when they walked back in, carrying the groceries.

In the kitchen they found Abbey with a bowl of cookie dough.

Sarah put her bag on the table and Richie followed her example.

“More cookies?” Sarah asked her mom.
“These are Richie’s favorite.” She said, putting a smile on Richie’s face. “See, I knew you’d like it.” She smiled back at him.

When the oven timer dinged, Abbey slowly got up from her chair and moved to the over, carefully bending to take an oven plate of cookies out.

Just then Noah walked in, having heard the oven timer into the living room.

Abbey shook her head, so did Sarah, boys and food.

Abbey continues baking cookies while Richie helped Sarah with putting everything away. Noah had gone again when he was told the cookies needed to cool down first. Richie completely understood his disappointment, he wouldn’t wait to try one either.

Once everything was put away, they sat down at the table and could hear guitar playing coming from upstairs.

Richie looked up at a corner of the ceiling.

“That’s Caleb.” Sarah said at his wondering expression.

He remembered Sarah had told him Caleb started to play guitar to impress girls. He knew all about impressing girls at that age.

“I’m sure he’d like your opinion or help.” Sarah said, she could see he wanted to listen to him play.
“You think?” He asked unsure.
“Yeah.”

So Richie got up, put his chair back and left the kitchen.

7 comments:

  1. I think its a good idea for Sarah to stay home. She really does need to try and stand on her own. She will still need everyone's support, but she needs to know she can do things for herself. And now Richie is worried about being on his own. I think he will be OK. Glad she wants to go for the last show with her family. Great chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Sarah can do it. Richie too. Waiting for the next one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be hell of a reunion, when Sarah goes to Europe!!! Nice chapter, again! Can't wait the next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Sarah and Richie both succeed on handling stuff on their own for a bit, but that maybe Sarah decides to surprise Richie on Sunday night or Monday morning for his birthday. *hint hint* lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure I like the idea of her leaving Richie on his own so early. Especially after that one episode at that party. That might just be me though. This is a lot to ask of a person to do on their own and being so far away from the person that helps the most? I just don't agree with this. A week or 2 is a enough trial in my opinion don't need a full month. Plus she's missing his Birthday? That's not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lot to ask of both of them, hopefully it works out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not want to be a kill joy and I am loving this story but as both have been through rehab so recently I really believe that they have traded 1 dependance for another and that will not be good for either.
    Richie needs to deal with being alone and Sarah has join the real world and get her family life back on track before embarking in creating another

    ReplyDelete